Tired of your curly hair and want to try out and straighten your hair? Chemical hair straightening might be a good call for you. Chemical Hair Straightening, also commonly known as Hair Relaxing, is the process of breaking down protein bonds in the hair to achieve that straight hair that you’ve been dreaming of permanently. Yes, you’ve heard it right! Chemical Hair Straightening is a permanent solution if you happen to want to straighten your hair.
How is it done? How does chemical hair straightening work? A chemical relaxer, like sodium hydroxide, ammonium thioglycolate, and sodium thioglycolate, is applied to the hair evenly by the attending expert. Depending on the chemical used, it is left on the hair for a certain amount of time then extreme heat is applied using a hair iron.
When the chemical relaxer and extreme heat are applied to the hair, hydrogen bonds and disulfide bonds are broken down. Hydrogen bonds and disulfide bonds are proteins that hold our hair together.
Although chemical hair straightening is one of the options for hair straightening, there are still risks associated with it. Let’s take a deeper look:
- Not advisable for delicate hair
If you happen to have delicate hair (for example, if you have naturally tightly curled hair or you have undergone multiple hair processes, such as bleaching), applying chemical relaxers and extreme heat can cause severe hair damage.
- Result Varies
It’s not as if it doesn’t turn out good or isn’t practical. Well, in reality, it is as effective as any hair straitening procedure should be. It can even a perfect choice for your desired result. However, the effectiveness of the treatment depends on the hair expert conducting the procedure. Too many broken bonds can lead to hair breakage, while insufficient bonds broken can leave your hair unaffected; thus, your curly hair will remain the same way as it was before. Before trying out chemical hair straightening, be sure to check reviews and research feedback from different hair salons near you for you to avoid wasted efforts and money, not even to mention regretful results.
If you happen to reside within or near Scottsdale, Arizona, the best option to choose is SalonTabu.az. They offer a premier salon experience in Scottsdale to all clients seeking appearance improvements. You can visit the salon and seek advice for your hair. The best you, anew. SalonTabu.az.
- Hair Elasticity Loss
The effect of chemical hair straightening is guaranteed as long as you choose the best expert to work for your hair. However, since protein bonds are broken from your hair, the elasticity of it is affected. Your hair can become dry and frizzy if you do not take proper care of it. Brushing and blow-drying, if possible, should be avoided and limited since it can aggregate dryness, frizziness, and breakage.
- It is permanent
Speaking of which, permanent is good. There’s no arguing with that. Who would not opt for a treatment that works permanently? The bad side of this is that, although it is permanent, it doesn’t mean that new hair growing from your scalp will be straight like the ones you had the treatment on. Besides that, it is recommended that chemical hair straightening should be done not more than once every 4 months. It cannot be prevented that the chemicals and heat application will overlap the already treated hair when reapplication is done. Dryness, frizz, and (even worse) breakage is a guaranteed result of undergoing chemical hair straightening more than once every quarter.
- It can harm your scalp.
The chemicals used in the treatment are very strong. Thus, if applied incorrectly by an inexperienced stylist, it can affect your scalp and cause chemical burns. What’s worse is that it can lead to infection, scarring, or even hair loss. Like in any other procedure and treatment, may it be for your hair, skin, body, be sure to choose the best stylist or expert.
Although the risks from chemical hair straightening seem discouraging, you can use precautions and hair care products to prevent the possible risks caused by it. The following are tips you can utilize if you plan to undergo the treatment:
- Avoid the treatment if your scalp is infected, inflamed, or broken. If you happen to have them after the treatment, try mixing milk and water in equal parts, then apply it to the affected area or the whole scalp. It will help soothe pain and eventually heal inflamed or broken skin or scalp. If the irritation persists after 3 to 5 days, make sure to consult a dermatologist.
- Use intensive conditioning treatments. Certain products can restore and help maintain moisture on your hair, hence, avoid dryness, frizz, and hair breakage.
- Avoid having chemical hair straightening treatment more than once every quarter. As aforementioned above, it is not healthy for your hair and can even worsen the risks of the treatment.
- If you have tightly curled hair or bleached your hair, the treatment is not advisable for you. The treatment can cause severe damage to your hair.
- Avoid using dry blowers or hair iron after the treatment. After the treatment, the hair’s elasticity is reduced since protein bonds were broken, thus making your hair prone to dryness, frizz, and breakage.
- Choose the best hairstylist and salon. Make sure to check their reviews and feedback. You don’t need to go to their salons right away since nowadays, salons can be easily checked, along with their reviews and feedback. More often than not, they have their respective Facebook accounts, and others even have their websites for customers and prospective customers to check out, like SalonTabu.az.
Any treatment or procedure, may it be for your hair, skin, body, etc., has risks associated with them. The best way to deal with it is to conduct deep research before undergoing any of it. And also, make sure to choose the best experts to achieve the best results and avoid risky side effects.
By the way, if you happen to reside within or near Scottsdale, Arizona, I’d highly suggest you choose SalonTabu.az as your go-to salon. If you want your hair anew, choose SalonTabu.az. They also offer different hair treatments and procedures. From hair extensions to hair color, you can attain the hair you’ve been aspiring for. The salon offers them all. For your hair renewed, and your outlook anew, SalonTabu.